Saturday, January 09, 2010

Pickled Radish





I was in Richmond having dinner with my niece's step grandmother Esther when she offered some of her home-pickled radishes. Now I don't know much about radish, but there's always something about pickling them at home that makes these incredibly delectable. How? It has to be sweet-soury yet, retaining some of its radishy identity- you know, that woody bite. The trick I discovered while pickling my own today, was to make them paper thin. The kind that you can read the newspaper print should it fall on the newspaper.

If you felt like pickling your own, here's the skinny:

Pick a heavy radish (the length from your fingers to elbow)
Slice it paper thin (I use a handy mandolin slicer)
Use 1 Tbsp sea salt to sweat the liquid out
Put aside for 3-4 hours, then drain the clear water out
Mix a quarter cup of rice vinegar (I used Golden Crown Garden brand)
with a quarter cup of sugar
Pour the mixture onto the radish
Put in the fridge for at least 2 hours

You've got a great side dish that goes well with any roasted meat. I had spicy noodles and this was a great cooling appy.

No comments: